Mashed Potato Cakes…Whole Wheat Pancake and Waffle Mix…Spiced Carrot Cauliflower Soup
Mashed Potato Cakes
2 cups mashed potatoes
1/4 cup parmesan cheese
1 egg, whisked
7 tablespoons all-purpose flour, divided
butter or oil, for pan-searing
Place mashed potatoes, cheese, egg, and 3 tbsp flour in a bowl and stir to combine.
- Take a scoop of the potato mixture and form into patties.
- Place the remaining 4 tbsp of flour on a plate.
- Lightly coat the potato patties in the flour.
- Heat a thin layer of the oil or butter in a large saute pan over medium heat.
- Cook the potato cakes for 3 minutes on each side for a total of 6 minutes.
- Serve as is or with accompaniments.
After step 2, place patties on a baking sheet and place in freezer for 30 minutes then place par-frozen patties in a Ziploc bag and freeze up to 4 months. When ready, defrost in fridge for 24 hours and follow steps 3-7.
Whole Wheat Pancake and Waffle Mix
- 6 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons salt
- whole wheat pancakes or waffles
- 1 large egg, whisked
- 1 cup buttermilk**
- 1 tablespoon vegetable or canola oil
- 1 cup pancake mix
- Whisk the egg, buttermilk and oil in a large bowl.
2. Whisk in the pancake mix until just combined.
3. Heat a large pan or griddle over medium heat and grease with butter or oil.
4. Pour about 1 tablespoon of the pancake mixture onto the griddle, making as many pancakes as will fit and cook for 2 minutes.
5. Flip the pancakes and cook for one minute longer and serve.
*Mixture can also be used in a waffle iron following manufacturer’s directions.
*If you do not have buttermilk you can make it by adding 1 tablespoon vinegar or lemon juice to 1 cup of milk. This mix also works beautifully with any type of milk you prefer!
Spiced Carrot Cauliflower Soup
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 small onion, chopped
5 cups warm water
2 tablespoons vegetable bouillon*
1 head cauliflower, chopped (about 4 cups)
3 cups peeled and chopped carrots (about 8 medium carrots)
1 1/2 teaspoons curry
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon garam masala
1 teaspoon salt
I like to use organic better than bouillon instead of the cubes.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat and cook the onions for 3 minutes, or until soft.
- Dissolve the vegetable bouillon in the water and add to the pot.
- Add the remaining ingredients to the pot and stir to combine.
- Bring to a boil, cover, and reduce heat to simmer for 15-20 minutes, or until the vegetables are fork tender.
- Using an immersion blender or standing blender, puree all of the ingredients until smooth.